Jury of the 2021 German Conductors’ Award was appointed
For the first time, conductor Markus Stenz is to chair the international competition
The German Conductors’ Award is to take place from 18th to 23rd October 2021 in Cologne. The international competition for concert and opera conducting is organized by the Conductors' Forum of the German Music Council in partnership with the Cologne Philharmony, the Cologne Opera, the Gürzenich Orchestra of Cologne and the WDR Symphony Orchestra. The line-up of the jury for the German Conductors’ Award 2021 has now been determined.
This year’s jury is composed as follows:
• Markus Stenz (conductor, chairman of the jury)
• Marc Albrecht (conductor)
• Martin Griebl (principal trumpet, WDR Symphony Orchestra)
• Prof. Dr. Hartmut Haenchen (conductor)
• Torsten Janicke (1st concert master, Gürzenich Orchestra of Cologne)
• Louwrens Langevoort (artistic director of the Cologne Philharmony, managing director of KölnMusik GmbH)
• Cristian Măcelaru (chief conductor of the WDR Symphony Orchestra)
• Dr. Birgit Meyer (artistic director of the Cologne Opera)
• Nora Pötter-Grabko (managing director of the artists agency Dr. Raab & Dr. Böhm)
• Kristiina Poska (conductor)
• Lucas Singer (bass, member of the ensemble of the Cologne Opera)
“It is a special honour for me to take over the chairmanship of this renowned jury within the framework of the German Conductors’ Award,” states jury chairman Markus Stenz. “This international competition is characterised by the fact that the participants have got access to two top orchestras and an outstanding ensemble of singers with whom they can perform on the wonderful stage of the Cologne Philharmony. These conditions are unique and a great opportunity for anybody who takes part.“
The competition targets conductors of all countries who are 33 years of age and younger (deadline: 31st October 2021). Applications can only be submitted online via the Conductors’ Forum’s website: www.dirigentenforum.de/ddp. The deadline for the application is the 15th of April 2021.
The German Conductors’ Award is sponsored by the German Government Commissioner for Culture and Media, the City of Cologne, the Cultural Foundation of the German Federal States, the Friends of the Conductors’ Forum e.V., the Ernsting Foundation Alter Hof Herding, the International Kurt Masur Institute, the Ursula Lübbe Foundation and by Rohema. It is supported medially by the broadcaster Westdeutscher Rundfunk / WDR 3 as a cultural partner.